Resources for the Media
NORM-UK aims to provide a comprehensive service to the media.
To discuss your specifc requirements please contact our General Manager, David Smith by email or by calling 01785 814044
Interviews - Key References - Images
The following are Press Releases which have been issued by NORM-UK
If you would like to receive new press releases by email please contact the webmaster
InterviewsThe following people are available for interview -
- David Smith (General Manager)
- Available for short-notice interviews to provide general background information. Not medically qualified.
- Dr John Warren (Chairman)
- Medically qualified and available for telephone interviews to discuss the historical, medical and social background of NORM-UK. Some notice will be required.
- Dr Peter Ball (Vice-Chairman)
- Available to provide medically-qualified information and answers to specific medical questions, for example for a phone-in or write-in feature.
- Men circumcised as adults and unhappy with the result
- Men circumcised as children and unhappy with their status
- Generally speaking, participating men will prefer not to be identified. If identification or membership of a particular social/religious/ethnic group is important for your article then please let us know.
Key Links and References
- Circumcision and penile sensitivity
- A 2007 study published in BJU international finds that circumcised men suffer a 'significant sensory deficit'.
- BMA Guidelines
- The British Medical Association guidelines on the law and ethics of male circumcision - key extracts and links to the full document.
- Swedish Legislation
- Sweden restricted male circumcision in 2001. Denmark and Norway look like they may follow soon.
- HIV and Circumcision
- Discussion of the studies linking HIV infection and circumcision status.
- Penile sensitivity and Impotence
- In May 2002 the "Jounral Of Urology" reported that male circumcision appears to result in decreased penile sensitivity and worsened erectile function.
- Motivation of Circumcision Advocates
- There are people, organisations and websites out there that actively promote male circumcision in spite of all the evidence. These links take a look at what they say and may provide some insight into their motivation.
- Patrons - Alan Cumming
- Two photographs of Alan Cumming are available for use with stories connected to NORM-UK, one in colour and one in black and white. Please contact us for high resolution versions of these.
These images are free for use in relation to NORM-UK but please credit 'Francis Hills Photography'.
- NORM-UK Logo
- The NORM-UK logo is available as a transparent GIF image or a JPEG image with a white background. Usage is subject to the usual restrictions applying to trademarks. Please contact us for larger resolution versions.
- 33 photographs of the intact male
- NOTE: These images are graphic close-up photographs of male genitals. Please do not view them if you are likely to be offended.
John A. Erickson's excellent photographs may be freely reproduced. In particular we reccommend number 11 which shows the underside of a retracted foreskin with a clear view of the ridged band, and number 24 which shows a foreskin covering the glans, neatly puckered at the front.